What are your hours?
San Luis Tattoo Co. is a private, appointment-only studio, so there are no set hours. If you are interested in getting tattooed, please fill out the Appointment Request Form on the Contact page and we will set up a time for you.
Do you accept credit/debit cards?
San Luis Tattoo Co. accepts cash, debit, and all major credit cards.
No Checks please.
What is your hourly rate?
The hourly rate for tattooing is $200.
How do I find the right artist?
This is the absolute most important part of collecting a tattoo. When deciding who you would like to do your tattoo, make sure that the look, style and subject matter you have in mind for your tattoo is represented in the artists portfolio. If what you are wanting looks nothing like the tattoos an artist is showcasing, you should keep looking until you see a portfolio that appeals to you.
How long is my tattoo going to take?
There are several factors that will affect the amount of time a tattoo will take to complete, including size, placement, skin type, color vs. black and grey, how still you sit, etc. For example, a tattoo placed on a ribcage could take twice as long as that same tattoo placed on a calf, due to the variation in skin elasticity and workability.
Since some of these factors won't be known until the tattooing process has begun, so it's difficult to give an exact estimate.
What if I need to reschedule my appointment?
From time to time, things come up that may require an appointment to be rescheduled. As long as notice is given 48 hours in advance, your deposit will remain valid and will count toward the new booking. Less that 48 hours notice will result in a forfeiture of the deposit and another one will be required to set a new date.
Click here to view the full deposit policy.
Can you send me the drawing ahead of time?
Drawings for each appointment are done either the night before or the morning of. Artwork cannot be sent via email. If you arrive at your appointment and feel you'd like changes to be made to the drawing, they will be addressed and made at that time.
Can I bring friends/family with me?
If you feel the need for moral support, I ask that you limit your guests to one extra person. The shop is very small and has limited seating for guests. It's been my experience that it's much easier for the client to relax when they're not on display in front of others. Being that this is a one-artist studio, it's also better when the artist doesn't have divide their attention between tattooing and the client's guests.
Do you do cover-ups?
Cover-up tattoos are done on a case by case basis. Cover-up designs need to be drawn specifically for covering your existing tattoo. In order to successfully cover an existing tattoo, it may require a session(s) of laser treatment in order to broaden the options you have for the new tattoo.
I recommend Open Canvas Laser (www.opencanvaslaser.com), here in SLO for any treatments that may be needed. They specialize in this type of lightening/removal and we consult with each other during the process. You may not even need the tattoo covered, if you wish to continue with laser treatments and have the tattoo completely removed.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
You may want to take these following practices into consideration prior to coming in to get tattooed:
-Get a good nights sleep the night before.
- Eat a healthy meal(s) the day of. Eating will keep blood sugar levels up and will make for an easier, more comfortable tattoo session.
- Shower. Having clean skin prior to getting tattooed greatly reduces your chance of introducing bacteria to the tattoo site which could lead to infection.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water during the days leading up to your appointment, as well as the day-of. Hydrated skin will result in a better tattoo experience and easier healing.
- Avoid alcohol in the days leading up to your appointment to ensure proper hydration. Hangovers also tend to make the tattoo experience very uncomfortable.
- Lotion the area for a few days prior to your appointment. This makes the skin easier to work with and yields the best results and healing.
- The skin in the area to be tattooed must be healthy. If it's sunburned or has a healing abrasion, you must postpone getting tattooed until your skin has fully recovered.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Consider where the tattoo is being placed and dress accordingly. Also, black clothing is ideal to avoid visible ink stains.